Aug 25, 2020

Boxes everywhere, and other ramblings


There’s nothing like packing your stuff to make you realise how much crap you’ve accumulated down the years. We keep finding items that we either didn’t know we had or can’t remember buying. Well, I say “we,” it’s mostly been Alicia doing the packing so far as she has more stuff, and I always leave important things like this till the last minute.

For example, I could have packed my clothes at any point over the past few days but then I discovered Hulu has every episode of The X-Files and I kind of lost track of time. I did valiantly empty my computer desk drawers into a box, taped it up, then Alicia asked if our passports were in it. Great. I’ve also packed up about half of my hobby stuff and all my miniatures. That’s three boxes, what more do you want? I mean, I could be packing now but instead I’m writing this while watching The X-Files (Season 2, Episode 1, “Little Green Men,” in case you’re interested).

Yes, after three years of Alicia planning this move I’m leaving it till the last minute. She’s doing the planning because if it was left to me, we’d be lucky to be moving to a cardboard box under a bridge.

Assuming I get my act together, once packed our belongings will be put in a pod shipping container and taken on the trip of a lifetime to… Albany. That’s right, they have no storage facility in the Green Mountain State, so if we end up needing anything we’ll have to drive to New York. Luckily it’s only about an hour from the house we’re renting. We also have to pack for the RV, so at some point I’m going to have to do that, too.

Packing woes aside, we can’t wait to get there. The place we’ll be staying for the first few months is a beautiful New England town complete with white picket fences, a white wooden church, a lake, a state park and a covered bridge. And we’ll be arriving in time for the fall foliage, which we can’t wait to see. I guess I’ll be getting back into photography once we’re there. We’re already planning trips around the area, and I’m even planning dog walks. The pups, who are used to walking on concrete with traffic whizzing past them, will love it.

But before we can do all that we have to get there, and that means packing. Blargh.

No comments:

Post a Comment