Aug 16, 2020

We’re not there yet…


We haven’t even left. But it’s coming closer: in 3½ weeks we’ll be making a 2,900-mile journey across 11 states to where we’ve been planning to live for the past three years: Vermont, the Green Mountain State.

A lot of people have asked us, why Vermont? Well, we’re both pretty much done with Southern California. I’ve been here for 16 years, Alicia’s been here her entire life. The cost of living is ridiculous, it seems to get hotter every year, the traffic is a nightmare and we’d rather have actual views than endless vistas of beige buildings and grey concrete. Yeah, SoCal has beaches, mountains and deserts, just have fun getting to them. We could afford a house here, but when you’re looking at half a million for a two-bedroom condo, we’ll take a pass.

After checking out Vermont on the interwebs and visiting it last year, our desire to live there just grew stronger. It’s beautiful, quiet, everyone we met was friendly, and the idea of having actual seasons really appeals to us.

Our cross-country journey should take five or six days, and we’ll be travelling in a rented RV: me, Alicia, our four dogs (Cadbury, Erebus, Mo and Watson) and two cats (Equius and Rice), so as you can imagine it’s going to be interesting.

I’ll be updating this as we prepare to go, during our journey and then once we’re living in VT. In case anyone is wondering about the name of the blog, a flatlander is anyone from outside the state. As I’m from outside the country, I thought it was apt.

Also, as you can probably tell, I actually shelled out on a domain name and hosting for this blog, unlike my other one, which is on Blogspot. So I’m back to using WordPress after six years and Christ, has it changed. Trying to find a basic theme that wasn’t a bunch of artsy wank was a nightmare. I’m not too happy with how this one looks — the new way you customize themes is amazingly limited — so I’ll keep working on it.  After buggering about with WordPress and giving up, I'm back on Blogger.

No comments:

Post a Comment