Sep 7, 2020

Four days to go

This photo doesn't do justice to the number of boxes in our living room, which is my own fault for using the wide-angle mode on my new phone. It's like a mini-Manhattan against the wall next to our telly. 

Alicia assures me that 95% of our belongings are boxed up and ready to go, but I keep looking around and seeing more stuff that surely should be packed away, I mean come on, babe, surely we're nowhere near being done? Just look at all this shit, can't we just bin it?

Sorry, I got carried away arguing with Alicia in my head. I argue with her in my head because it's safer.

We've also chucked out a ton of stuff. My painting desk has gone (sob) and the sofa will soon be joining it, as it's 16 years old and is frankly knackered. There's also enough dog hair embedded in it to knit another Erebus. Our mattress is also being thrown out. We mostly just have to wrap the telly and PC in bubble wrap, box up the printer and make sure we have all 3,000 or so power cables and USB chargers.

These boxes have red duck (duct? I dunno) tape around them because they're full of the the essential stuff we really need, so they'll be stored at the front of our pod. I'm not sure why the corporate spyware Alexa is considered vital, but as I've said before, I'm here to carry stuff and stay out of the way. Note the crap on the counter in the back, lined with stuff that I'm sure should probably be in a box. In fact, as I type this, Alicia's telling me to stop worrying about the packing.

Our timetable for the next few days is:

Monday: More packing JESUS WILL IT NEVER END

Tuesday: Movers are here. Shift all the stuff to the pod, come back to the apartment, realise we no longer have a bed, sofa or telly.

Wednesday: Clean the apartment to a level where we might, just might, get some of our deposit back.

Thursday: Pick up the RV, load it with our gear and the animals, get on the road, hope for the best.

Friday: The apartment's electricity, internet and gas will be shut off, but we don't care as by that point we should be somewhere in Colorado.

At least we'll have transportation when we get to Vermont; Bennington Subaru emailed me Friday to tell me that my Outback has arrived and is ready to be picked up. Alicia will have to wait till the end of the month for her Forester as she insisted on metallic red and there was literally two of them in all of New England. A couple of days after we get there we have to return the RV, which means a relaxing three-hour drive to Connecticut and a hire car back. Yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment