Sep 26, 2020

The Publyk House

We've passed The Publyk House several times over the past 10 days and tonight we finally decided to try it out. A major factor in our decision was being done with making crap from whatever we find in the fridge. We ordered the food online, and I went to pick it up.

The Publyk House is an old horse barn that's been a restaurant since 1972. In 2017 it was voted the most beautiful restaurant in Vermont, and it has hundreds of good reviews. On the way there I passed a motel that we've also driven by loads of times and only then remembered that me and Alicia stayed there when we visited Vermont last year.

The sign says "Vermont Dining With A View," and they're not wrong about the view:

This is the view from the right side of the building, in the car park. The view from the veranda on the left side doesn't include the power lines, but ignore them and just look at the fall colours and that awesome sky. 

The car park was packed, with loads of out-of-state license plates from around New England and even one from Alaska. After parking I made my way inside, which was also crowded. The restaurant, like all of Vermont, is enforcing masks and social distancing, which is why the state is doing so well.

I picked up our bag of food at the bar and headed home.

You're going to have to forgive my photos of the food; I took them with my phone and we just left our dinners in the takeout dishes to save on washing up. We got a serving of popcorn shrimp to start, which was great; it wasn't as popcorny as what you get on the west coast, but that made a nice change.

Alicia ordered the 10oz grilled top sirloin done medium, with a side of mashed potatoes and beans. The steak was still pink on the inside, just as it should be, and from the little bit she allowed me to have it was excellent; tender and juicy, perfectly cooked and made me wish I'd got the same thing.

I got the chicken dinner. It came with a good dollop of mashed potatoes, green beans, stuffing, gravy and a decent side of cranberry sauce. I had a chicken dinner four days ago in Middlebury and it was really good, but this one was better. The big chunks of chicken were delicious, the gravy was thick and tasty, and the mash was spot on, with bits of peel in it just the way I like. 

The whole meal cost $61 and was well worth the money. Dessert was some of the awesome berry pie we got at The Market Wagon a couple of days ago. It made a nice change from hunting through the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment